Sunday, March 9, 2008

Not quite right...

For those of you not in Korea, I thought you might enjoy some of the Korenglish that make our lives interesting on a daily basis!  You might have to click on the photos to zoom in to read them better... sorry!

We found this sign on base, where everything is written in English... sort of.  This is a pretty typical example of how sentence structure often gets lost in the translation, but you can still figure out the meaning.  (The funny part is, the elevator was obviously empty, and not in operation...)
Here is another, where you can sort of figure out where they're going.  This is a guide map from a major amusement park (it's like Disn.ey of Korea).  I know it's hard to read, but the tag line says, "Romantic Christmas with your Lovers."  All of my lovers, huh?

And then there are some times you really have no idea where they're going.  We saw this sign in the children's room at the aquarium.  Mind you, I'm very appreciative of all the signs in English around Korea (thanks mostly to the 1988 Olympics) but sometimes they're really not helpful!

Your guess is as good as mine on that one!

These recycling signs are posted outside one of my friend's apartments.  This is a very popular apartment complex for Americans to live in, but again, I really don't know where they're going with this...
If you can't read it, in the left bin you can recycle your "can," "beer bottle" on the right, and the middle one is labeled for "various diseases!"  So next time you have a disease you need to recycle, you know where to go!


2 comments:

Lynn said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! It is SO true! I finally started a collection of pictures and items with Korenglish. Perhaps I will post them someday.

Christie said...

I love the "various diseases"! Hummmm, maybe we need one of those in the ER!